Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and if you’re stumped as to what to give your loved ones, these sweet & simple Valentine rose cookies would be perfect for your sweetheart or for friends and family. They may look difficult to make, but with a few tips, you’ll easily be able to create these sweet treats!
To make these, you’ll need:
If you need some more guidance, a good place to start is with this Cookie Decorating Tutorial, and two videos on Icing Consistency and How to Pipe Icing Lines. For a tutorial on how to make gumpaste or fondant leaves, click here. (These are just a little smaller and have a different line pattern in the leaf. Please see list above for leaf cutter set).
Making Rose Valentine Cookies
1a) Flood your heart cookies with pink royal icing. Let them dry overnight. If you’d like some more information on how to flood cookies, click here; How to Flood Cookies with Royal Icing
1b) Make your red stencilling icing a little bit thicker than flood icing by adding some icing sugar. When you drag a knife through the surface of the icing, it will basically still hold it’s shape.
1c) Place your stencil on the base of dry royal icing. (See pictorial below).
2) Pipe your icing onto the stencil using a #4 piping tip (other sizes are fine too).
3) Cover only the rose with the red icing.
4) Using an offset spatula, lightly scrape the icing off the stencil.
5) Quickly lift the stencil away from the cookie.
6) Pipe dots around the perimeter of the heart with a #1 piping tip.
7) Once the rose is dry, place the clean stencil back on the cookie, and add the brown icing for the stem.
8) Using an offset spatula, lightly scrape the icing off the stencil.
9) Add two dots of brown icing for the leaves.
10) Add the leaves and press in place with a toothpick.
11) If you’d like to add a little more detail, pipe lines on the edges of the rose shape. Let your cookies dry and enjoy!
Have fun decorating and Happy (early) Valentine’s Day to you!
Don't miss a thing! Subscribe to our email list to keep up with our latest projects, listings, blog posts and giveaways!