Vanilla Lemon Cupcakes :: Cupcake Monday

Happy Spring, cupcake lovers! Glory of Glorious Treats here with an easy and delicious recipe perfect for welcoming spring! Lemon is such a bright and fresh flavor and these cupcakes can be adjusted to your tastes to include a little or a lot of lemony goodness. The perfect yellow polka-dot cups are available from The TomKat Studio Shop.

Vanilla- Lemon Cupcakes

For the cake– Bake up a batch of Vanilla cupcakes using your favorite box mix or recipe.  If desired, add 1-2 teaspoons of freshly grated lemon zest to the batter.

Filling (optional)-  If you love lemon (like I do!) cut out cone shaped hole in the top of the baked cupcakes and fill with 1-2 teaspoons of lemon curd.  Lemon curd can be bought next to jams and jellies at most any grocery store.  I used (this) delicious homemade lemon curd.

Frosting– (recipe below)

Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe by Glorious Treats)

This is  a variation of my favorite Cream Cheese Frosting.

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

1 (8 oz.) package (block) cream cheese

4 cups powdered sugar

1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2-3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Directions:  In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter (while still cool) until smooth.  Add (cold) cream cheese and continue to beat until fully incorporated and smooth.  Add powder sugar, one cup at a time, while the mixer is running.  Continue mixing and add lemon zest, vanilla and lemon juice.  Mix an additional 30 seconds, until smooth, light and fluffy.  Frost cooled cupcakes.

If you’re not confident piping frosting on cupcakes, I have shared a post here on The Tomkat Studio and also a post (and video) on my blog, Glorious Treats on how to frost cupcakes. Also, be sure to check out the TomKat Cupcake Decorating Kit, which includes the tip I used for frosting these cupcakes!

Have a SWEET week, friends!
  1. Tina Dahl

April 16th, 2012 at 8:55 am

These look fabulous, and anything with lemon curd is good in my book!

2. Stephanie

April 16th, 2012 at 10:25 am

I love lemon cupcakes! Thank you for sharing… looks so delicious!

3. Isabelle

April 14th, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I know right, i have always just liked smelling the fresh lemon smell, and just because i am a kid does not mean i am not a baker. I <3 BAKING

4. Sandra

April 16th, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Almost to pretty to eat.

5. Leanne Ambrogio

April 17th, 2012 at 7:45 am

Oh Kim we must be channelling each other – I have a blog post up today as well about lemon and a recipe for lemon curd! How funny! Leanne xx

6. malaysia online shopping

April 18th, 2012 at 8:59 am

This Vanilla Lemon Cupcakes is cute…. it is just a waste to eat them……

7. Carrie @ Half Baked

April 19th, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Yumm… lemon!! These sound delicious Glory! Not to mention how bright and cheery they look! Can’t wait to try!

8. Lindsay butler

April 24th, 2012 at 9:30 am

Could I use the cake recipe and frosting recipe to make cakepops? I am making some for my neices birthday and I would like them to be extra special!

9. Leah

April 24th, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Looks delicious and very cute!

10. ButterYum

April 24th, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Absolutely adorable – LOVE the cupcake liners!!!!!

11. Elizabeth

May 16th, 2012 at 8:47 pm

These look so cute and delicious! I was wondering if you bake the cupcakes with the polka-dot cups?

12. Wit & Whistle » Blog Archive » Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

May 21st, 2012 at 1:18 pm

[…] from the tomkat studio « Father’s Day Cards 2012 I love your comments more than I love […]

13. Lilie Bakery

May 31st, 2012 at 10:45 am

Waouh, your cupcakes are just fabulous! I have tried lime cupcakes a few days ago, and the result was very fresh too, I love it!

14. Glorious Treats » Lemon Cupcakes

June 12th, 2012 at 1:59 pm

[…] recipe) for these delicious Vanilla Lemon Cupcakes on the Tomkat Studio.  Head on over to The Tomkat Studio get all the details on these delicious cupcakes, along with the adorable […]

15. Ella Thompson

July 9th, 2012 at 7:13 am

I made this cupcake recipe yesterday and they were delicious! I used the Glorious Treats vanilla cupcake recipe with the lemon zest and followed the frosting recipe exactly- so good. I will definitely be making these again.

16. Brenda

July 9th, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Looks delicious! But is there a substitue for cream cheese? for consistency such as cream – or can i just leave it out?

17. Ryan

February 21st, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Just made these for my boyfriends birthday – huge hit! I’ll definitely be making them again! 🙂

18. carol

September 19th, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Hi, looks amazing, i just try your recipe twice and ends up very liquid. I use a hand electric mixer. I dont understand What happend 🙁

19. Glory/ Glorious Treats

September 20th, 2013 at 9:20 am

I would highly suggest using a large stand mixer if possible. It’s best to use cool or cold butter and cream cheese, and a hand-held mixer can not blend those ingredients very well when they are cold. If you only have a hand-held mixer, and thus have to use room temperature ingredients you will need to put the finished frosting in the fridge to firm up for up to an hour.

20. Tara

September 9th, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Where did you get the cupcake liners?

21. Dana

January 6th, 2015 at 8:07 am

Used your recipe for the cupcakes with vanilla pudding & cake mix – why did my cupcakes sink in the middle
    after coming out of the oven?