My 35th Birthday Party :: Cupcake Monday

We celebrated my 35th birthday over the weekend with a luau! For a little while, we weren’t sure if the party was actually going to happen. As you may know, we live in Phoenix and rarely see rain. Well, about an hour before my party was set to start, a CRAZY storm came rolling in and destroyed all of my outdoor decorations, not to mention a few trees in our yard. Note to self: tissue paper garlands and lanterns do not mix well with water! We had rainbow colored streams dripping down onto our furniture and travertine deck. Luckily, it didn’t stain. As I was doing my makeup during the storm, the lights flickered and we lost power. I remained calm, as usually these storm bursts don’t last long. Within an hour, the rain stopped, the power came back on and the weather turned into pure heaven! Rather than sweltering in 110 degrees, we spent the first few hours of the party in 75 degrees and once it got warmer everyone got in the pool. It couldn’t have been more perfect! For the party designs, I collaborated with Tabatha from Vintage Lucy’s. She made me an adorable tank with the hula girl on it to wear to the party and I created printables to match, using her illustration! I had Mandy from Sugar on Top make cookies to match and they turned out amazing, as usual!

More party details coming soon…..

Have a fabulous week!

1. Tina Dahl

July 16th, 2012 at 8:02 am

Ahhhh…Mother Nature is a tricky one isn’t she! I am thrilled that the party turned out so well and it sounds like you all had a great time! Can’t wait to see more details. Happy Monday “)

2. Kim - The TomKat Studio

July 17th, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Thank you, Tina!

3. violet

July 16th, 2012 at 9:29 am

how could you remained calm?! i would be totally freaked out! you are my hero:o)

4. Kim - The TomKat Studio

July 17th, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I just knew it would pass. 🙂 And it gave me some extra time to prepare for the party since all of the guests were delayed from the weather!

5. Renee - the Creative Orchard

July 16th, 2012 at 9:36 am

I bet owning a party supply shop came in handy that rainy day! 😉

6. Kim - The TomKat Studio

July 17th, 2012 at 1:19 pm

So handy!! It’s so easy, now!

7. Becka Clark

July 16th, 2012 at 10:28 am

Can you purchase the printables online? I need them for a Luau Party!

8. Toni

July 16th, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Yes! They will be available in the shop soon!

9. Jackie @ Just Add Milk

July 16th, 2012 at 10:49 am

I’m so happy everything worked out in the end!!! Everything looked beautiful! I love the colors and the palm trees. Reminds me of my home away from home – Puerto Rico….

10. Kim - The TomKat Studio

July 17th, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Thank you so much!

11. renee

July 16th, 2012 at 11:07 am

Wow … sounds a little like our crazy weather here in Florida. So glad your party was able to happen! The luau party looks so cute. Can’t wait to see more!

12. Kim - The TomKat Studio

July 17th, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Thank you, Renee!

13. Jane

July 16th, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Hi Kim,
    Beautiful party. Just wondering who does all your photography? I love how you get that soft light in all your photos.

14. Kim - The TomKat Studio

July 17th, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Hi Jane! Thank you! These photos were taken by me. 🙂 Most of the time, one of my BFF’s Vicki does my photos… vickilynnphoto.com.

15. Lorena

July 17th, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Looks like a fun party. The design was very cute. Happy Belated Birthday, Kim. You are a great inspiration.

16. MARIEL

July 18th, 2012 at 9:01 am

HOLA KIM MUCHAS FELICIDADES X TU CUMPLE SE VE MUY BONITO EL PARTIDO YO VIVO EN MEXICO Y TAMBIEN A ESTADO LLOVIENDO MUCHO .SALUDOS

17. Lydia- The Party Wagon

July 19th, 2012 at 6:38 am

Happy Birthday, Kim! I love the cookies and the cute hula girl design.

18. Tamara

July 22nd, 2012 at 4:27 am

Love the Hula Girl! Where can I find the vintage wood 3 tier cupcake stand? Thanks!

19. Tina Dahl

July 30th, 2012 at 8:25 am

That stand I believe is from Williams Sonoma. They also have a cake pedestal in the same material 🙂

20. Havi Hall

July 22nd, 2012 at 9:43 am

Happy Birthday Kim!
    We are celebrating our daughter’s 2nd Birthday with our families in Maui this Fall…are these hula girl printables available on your website for purchase? Also would love to order some matching cookies and decor!!!
    Thanks!

21. Danielle H.

September 18th, 2012 at 8:30 am

Love the hula girl! Can you tell me when these printables might be available for purchase?

22. Ioana

February 27th, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Hi,
    My best friend is turning 35 next month. Since she already planned the birthday party with her husband I could not make it a surprise party anymore, but I would like to try to help with decorations…maybe surprise her before the party with that 🙂
    She did not have any theme in mind, but we made and evite invitation, and it turned out to be black with yellow and….she is thinking now to buy silverware in the same colors.
    I was thinking maybe 35 balloons (yellow and black), and 35 flowers (yellow, don’t think they will have any black). It is going to be a party with almost 50 guests, dj, and catering.
    Can you help me with any other ideas? i looked at party city, and on amazon….could not really find anything that I would have liked. Thank you.