Let It Snow Christmas Tree :: Michaels Dream Tree Challenge

Michaels_christmas_0039-001

Here it is! The “Dream” Christmas Tree I just decorated for the Michael’s Dream Tree Challenge! I was so excited to be asked to participate in this year’s challenge. What could be more fun than getting a jump start on holiday decorating? I had so much fun shopping at Michaels, looking for inspiration and deciding on a theme (like 2.5 hours of fun!). Thank you to all of you who helped me make a decision (on Facebook) to go with the “Let It Snow” theme. As you can see, I went with a white and silver, glittery style. I absolutely love how it all turned out and now I’m debating whether to take it down or just leave it up in my home office!

Michaels_christmas_0090_1

This white, sparkly owl immediately caught my eye at Michaels and I used him as the inspiration for the entire tree! Isn’t he so cute?

Michaels_christmas_0080

I found new, small wood letters at Michaels in this awesome font. The “MERRY CHRISTMAS” garland was really easy to create and the kids loved helping me paint and glitter the letters. I will be sharing a full tutorial next week for this garland! (update: see the tutorial here)

Michaels_christmas_0059

Michaels_christmas_0062

I also wanted to create an easy ornament idea to share with you. I always love seeing photos on the tree, so I came up with this layered ornament using glitter paper and the perfect letter stickers from Michaels that are the same font as the wood letters I used for the garland! I will be sharing the tutorial for making these ornaments next week, as well. (update: see the tutorial here.)

Michaels_christmas_0041_1

PHOTOS27

We made these paper medallion ornaments for a photo shoot for Pottery Barn Kids (can’t wait until it is published!) and they matched perfectly with my tree theme. Aren’t they gorgeous? Stay tuned for the tutorial for these, too. (update: see the tutorial here)

Michaels_christmas_0076

It isn’t easy to find the perfect tree topper! This is something I’ve always struggled with. The topper is the focal point of the tree, so it is so important, but I rarely find something I love. This big silver, glittery bow was absolutely perfect and the just right size for my Michaels 7′ Pre-lit Willow Tree.

Michaels_christmas_0074

So, there you have it! I hope you love my tree! I am staring at it right now and it makes me so happy and excited for the holiday season to begin!

Let me know what you think!

michaels

• Michaels has a large selection of pre-lit high-tip count artificial trees ranging in size from 4 ft. to 7.5 ft. and all the way up to 9 ft. They even come in different shapes, from skinny to full and in-between with some smaller trees coming in different color options
  • Each tree purchased at Michaels comes with a 5 year tree warranty and a 2 year warranty on the lights
  • Stop by your local Michaels November 3 through November 9 for a special tree event

PHOTOS BY RENNAI HOEFER, TEN22 STUDIO

THIS IS A SPONSORED POST. THE TOMKAT STUDIO HAS RECEIVED PAYMENT, TRADE AND/OR PRODUCTS FROM MICHAELS IN EXCHANGE FOR PROMOTING, HOWEVER ALL OPINIONS STATED ARE MY OWN AND I ONLY PROMOTE PRODUCTS I LOVE.

1. Tina

November 1st, 2013 at 11:08 am

Just love your tree Kim! I have seen letter garlands similar to yours and have always wanted to do one, so I can’t wait for your tutorial as this is the year I will make one…perfect timing. Also can’t wait to make the photo ornaments. All this silver goes perfectly with my recent silver mercury glass obsession, so I will also make the paper medallion ornaments. Can’t wait to celebrate this Christmas in our new house 🙂 Oh, and I say keep your beautiful tree up in your office!

2. Kim

November 1st, 2013 at 11:56 am

Thank you, Tina! I was so excited to find those letters, because I usually don’t love the fonts, but this one is perfect! I was thrilled to find the matching silver glitter letter stickers too. Go grab them at your Michael’s so you are ready when I post the tutorials! Mercury glass would be perfect for this theme! Love that. xoxo

3. Tina

November 1st, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I’m heading over there today on my lunch hour 🙂

4. Janice

December 19th, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I bought the letters at Michaels, not quite the same as yours. Had to get a foyer in our church set up in a “Let It Snow” theme. Turned out very nice with such a small area we could cover. (people would be walking, etc.) Do you want to see it? I posted on Pinterest, but would post to you if you’d like. Janice

5. Laurie underwood

November 1st, 2013 at 11:30 am

Super love! Thanks, Kim, as always for your wonderful inspiration!

6. Kim

November 1st, 2013 at 11:56 am

Thank you for your sweet words, Laurie!

7. Savannah Smiled

November 1st, 2013 at 11:37 am

In LOVE with the all-white theme. Such great inspiration as I begin thinking about my tree for this season.

8. Kim

November 1st, 2013 at 11:58 am

Thank you, Savannah! I am so excited to go with this theme this year!

9. theenah

November 1st, 2013 at 11:43 am

Wow!!!!….sooooo beautiful!!!!….i can’t stop staring at it..;)…..tho it kinda made me homesick more…i miss spending Christmas w/ my family…it’s been 5yrs since i’ve spent Christmas w/them!…
    God bless the works of your hands,Ms.Kim!….you are truly an inspiration!
    Looking forward to the tutorials;)
    Take care;)

10. Kim

November 1st, 2013 at 11:59 am

Awww, thank you so much, Theenah! I hope you get to spend Christmas with your family this year!

11. Lisa

November 1st, 2013 at 11:45 am

Very pretty 🙂

12. Kim

November 1st, 2013 at 11:59 am

Thank you, Lisa!

13. natalie @ wee eats

November 1st, 2013 at 11:47 am

I LOVE IT ALL SO MUCH! I’m running to Michaels RIGHT NOW to purchase ALL THE OWLS!!!

14. Kim

November 1st, 2013 at 11:59 am

Go! Go! Isn’t he just the cutest thing?

15. Kristyn

November 1st, 2013 at 11:52 am

I knew before I even saw it that your tree would be BEAUTIFUL!! You did such a great job, and I LOVE the Merry Christmas Letters!! Great job, girl!! XO

16. Kim

November 1st, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Thank you so much, my dear! I just saw yours and it’s so amazing. Seriously. You are a creative genius. xoxo

17. Susan Crabtree

November 1st, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Love!

18. Kim

November 18th, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Thank you, Susan!

19. Jill - Every Day is an Occasion

November 1st, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Great job! Love how glittery and sparkly it is! Smiles, Jill

20. Kathryn

November 1st, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Perfection! I am off to Michaels to pick up some letters!

21. Mindy

November 1st, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Your taste is always so refined Kim! gorgeous!

22. Kerrie

November 1st, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Absolutely love it Kim! There is something so sweet and nostalgic about hanging those cherished family photos alongside beautiful homemade decorations. It turned out stunning with the black & white photos especially with your adorable kids.

23. Rowaida Flayhan

November 1st, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Kim you are a beautiful and so inspiring person thank you and best wishes xx

24. Rowaida Flayhan

November 1st, 2013 at 12:31 pm

So sorry for the spelling mistake my Ipad was on auto correct.
    Best wishes Kim xoxo

25. Lori

November 1st, 2013 at 12:43 pm

So beautiful – that little owl is adorable! So are all the handmade ornaments and letter banner! I have a Michaels close by – I’m in there at least once a week!

26. Amie

November 1st, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Omg! I love this! I am decorating a 3″ tree for our local festival of trees fundraiser. I want to use words like family, snow, etc. and wasn’t sure exactly how to do it (vinyl lettering or wood) but seeing this garland has made up my mind!
    I was also thinking about doing picture frames! Love this post! Can’t wait for tutorials!!!

27. Dorie

November 1st, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Super pretty! I started making white pom-poms(aka snowballs)for our tree this year and will be doing this color theme too. Is the little icicle garland from there as well?

28. Rowaida flayhan

November 1st, 2013 at 1:12 pm

So beautiful and so inspiring Kim, love it!
    Have a wonderful weekend xx

29. Joanna M.

November 1st, 2013 at 1:20 pm

This is so beautiful Kim!

30. Jamielyn@iheartnaptime

November 1st, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Gorgeous Kim! LOVE how it turned out. You never cease to amaze me with your talent! Xo

31. Kody Ziegler

November 1st, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Kim,

Where did you get the present boxes? I love them, so simple and elegant!

That tree is beautiful!

32. Diane Allen Parks

November 1st, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Beautiful tree, Kim! I did a white tree one year when my 22 year old grandaughter was 8……we used my Dept 56 Snow Babies and white feather boas for garland. She loved it and my husband hated it! Way too girlie for him! LOL Thank you for sharing your incredible talent with us!

33. Pam

November 1st, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Absolutely love the letter garland…I am so doing that on my tree! Got to get an owl too.

34. Andrea Worley

November 1st, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Beautiful tree Kim! White, sparkly…all things I just love. I love the Merry Christmas garland letters. Can’t wait for your tutorial on these. That owl is pretty cute too!

35. Lindsey L.

November 1st, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! Can’t wait for the upcoming tutorials.

36. Mimi

November 1st, 2013 at 6:06 pm

LOVE THIS!! Will you come do mine next? 😉

37. Amy Huntley

November 1st, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Your tree is just beautiful Kim! Love all the fun little details…and I LOVE the letters! Great job!

38. janet

November 2nd, 2013 at 7:24 am

Oh my, your tree is exquisite. LOVE the garland – I’m hoping to replicate something similar using my Silhouette – THANK YOU so very much for the inspiration 🙂 Can’t wait for the tutorials!

39. Heather @ Beyond the Aisle

November 3rd, 2013 at 8:32 am

I’m loving the snowy winter wonderland vibe of your tree! The little owl is so sweet and I really like the “Merry Christmas” garland. I can’t wait for the paper ornament tutorial!

40. christine t

November 3rd, 2013 at 10:32 am

Lovely as ever, Kim!

41. Beverly

November 3rd, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I love the tree is gorgeous and I love your garland most of all. I can’t wait for your tutorial so my girls and I can do one. Girls just love glitter! How exciting!

42. candice

November 3rd, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Bravo!!!! Kim

43. Josephine Newton

November 4th, 2013 at 5:20 am

I love the tree!!! Your ideas are so inspirational. Can’t wait to get started on those frames.

44. Sarah

November 5th, 2013 at 9:25 am

I love your tree! It is so sparkly and I love the letters! I would definitely leave it up…year round…. 😉

45. Heather

November 5th, 2013 at 11:05 am

The garland & photo ornaments are my favorite! I am definitely looking forward to the tutorials for those. Although using glitter scares me. It really gets everywhere =/

46. Jessica | Pen N' Paperflowers

November 7th, 2013 at 8:22 am

Oh Kim!! This turned out sooooo beautiful! I love it!!
    The owl was the perfect inspiration piece!! Can’t wait for all of the tutorials!!

47. How to Make a Christmas Tree Garland :: Craft Tutorial | The TomKat Studio

November 8th, 2013 at 10:41 am

[…] you so much for all the wonderful feedback about my “Let It Snow” Christmas Tree for the Michael’s Dream Tree Challenge! If you missed the post last week, you can see all of the details here. Today, I am sharing the […]

48. Katie

November 9th, 2013 at 8:13 am

Did you make or buy the bow topper? I love it!

49. Alexis @ Persia Lou

November 11th, 2013 at 10:30 am

Just beautiful! I love that garland!

50. Christmas Tree Decoration Ideas

November 11th, 2013 at 8:05 pm

[…] HERE to see how to make this winter […]

51. How to Make A Paper Photo Ornament :: Craft Tutorial | The TomKat Studio

November 12th, 2013 at 10:06 am

[…] again?) Ha! Anyway, back to Dream Tree decorating! In case you missed it, I participated in the Michaels Dream Tree Challenge this year and went with a “Let It Snow” white and silver tree. We styled and […]

52. How to make a paper ornament » Bliss Baby Love

November 15th, 2013 at 5:26 pm

[…] again?) Ha! Anyway, back to Dream Tree decorating! In case you missed it, I participated in the Michaels Dream Tree Challenge this year and went with a “Let It Snow” white and silver tree. We styled and photographed it in […]

53. Jeannie

November 18th, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I can’t seem to find a tutoral for the paper medallion ornaments. Could you give me the link to it? Love the tree and want to make some them as well as the garland! Thanks!

54. Liz

December 2nd, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Love the tree! How did you make the snowflakes

55. Amanda Jones

November 19th, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Kim! I love this tree!! It is darling! I am doing a round-up of beautiful Christmas trees for my website next Monday and am including this one for sure! You did such a great job!

Amanda

56. Kim

December 2nd, 2013 at 12:53 am

Thank you so much, Amanda!

57. 25 Fabulous Christmas Trees - The Contractor Chronicles

November 25th, 2013 at 12:21 am

[…] Let it Snow! from TomKat Studio […]

58. Abby Patterson

November 30th, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Is everything from michael’s? ( besides the things you made) I am in love with the tree! Definitely the inspiration for my tree:)

59. Kim

December 2nd, 2013 at 12:53 am

Yes, everything on the tree is from Michael’s, including the the items I crafted! (letter banners and paper ornaments)

60. michelle

December 1st, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Where did you get the pinecone and glass garland accents..michaels Too?? Didnt see there…looks gorgeous by the way

61. Kim

December 2nd, 2013 at 12:52 am

Yes, both from Michael’s! The garland is actually plastic. 🙂

62. Christmas Countdown: Day 1-Christmas Trees - B. Lovely Events

December 1st, 2013 at 5:47 pm

[…] is our favorite Christmas tree this year from The TomKat Studio! We love all of the white DIY decorations that they mixed with all of the adorable white […]

63. Christmas Crafts | Pinterior Designer

December 1st, 2013 at 10:27 pm

[…] busted out this weekend was a banner for our Christmas tree. I said in this post I was inspired by this tree styled by The TomKat Studio and one of the items I definitely wanted to include on my own tree was […]

64. Holiday Home Decorating with Shutterfly | The TomKat Studio

December 2nd, 2013 at 1:40 am

[…] a set of free templates for you to download and then upload to Shutterfly! I was inspired by my Dream Tree to go with shades of gray and white for the designs. First, I created the graphics including […]

65. DIY Photo Ornaments |

December 2nd, 2013 at 3:43 pm

[…] one, again?) Ha! Anyway, back to Dream Tree decorating! In case you missed it, I participated in theMichaels Dream Tree Challenge this year and went with a “Let It Snow” white and silver tree. We styled and photographed it […]

66. Liz

December 2nd, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Love the tree! How did you make the snowflakes?

67. Alicia

December 8th, 2013 at 9:43 pm

I absolutely love this tree, just beautiful! I am going to use the three tutorials you posted for my own tree, however, I am having a hard time following the tutorial for the paper medallion ornaments. When you fold it accordion style – is that lengthwise or width wise? When you say to put the medallion in the center, what kind of medallion is it supposed to be? I didn’t see it on the supply list. I’m really excited to make these, thank you for your time!

68. Alexandra

December 9th, 2013 at 1:48 pm

You’re tree is sooo beautiful! Thanks for sharing all your tutorials on what you did for this tree. This will be my inspiration for next year’s Christmas! 😀

69. Leigh Pearce Weddings Blog » Inspiration Monday | Charlotte, North Carolina Wedding Designer

December 23rd, 2013 at 10:06 am

[…] Tree | Deer + Mason Jar DIY | Wreath | Pillow | Tartan Tablescape | Garland | Pine + Spruce Centerpiece | Rosemary Wreath Place Card | Mason Jar Centerpiece […]

70. Johanna

December 31st, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I absolutely LOVE this tree! I will be doing my next year’s tree all silver and white. I already started buying most of the decorations 1/2 off!!! 🙂 I love the banner, do you sell it by any chance? Although I love all DIY stuff I’m not great at it …. Would love this banner!!! 🙂

71. Johanna

November 5th, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Hi Kim! Absolutely gorgeous!!! Where can I find that crystal garland? I’ve been looking all over for it… Thank you

72. Kim

November 5th, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Thank you, Johanna! The icicle garland was from Michael’s last year!

73. Nancy

November 22nd, 2014 at 5:57 am

HI I just love our tree garland. I cannot find these letters with this magnificent font 🙁

74. Mommiepoppins

December 1st, 2014 at 10:11 pm

My sister Mel and I found your tree on Pintetest not to long ago. You inspired me and she challenged me to do something spectacular this year ! Using what I already had, ( my husband was happy ) and a few sparkly snowflake ornaments found at a local drug store our tree turned out fabulous! I made the garland out of cardboard, paint and glitter- budget restrictions. Thank you for the inspiration! PS, wish I could post a pic of it here to share.

75. 10 Inspiring Ideas: How to Decorate Your Christmas Tree

November 3rd, 2017 at 4:01 am

[…] The TomKat Studio: Let It Snow Tree […]

76. IN A FOREST OF CHRISTMAS TREES, THEY PICKED THESE | LIFE ON SUMMERHILL

November 8th, 2017 at 7:56 am

[…] Let it Snow Christmas Tree: Michaels Dream Tree Challenge by The TomKat Studio […]

77. Christmas Tree