{Recipe} Pink Lemonade Tea Cakes

I received several emails requesting the recipe for the Pink Lemonade Tea Cakes that were featured in the Secret Garden Baby Shower that we shared with you on Tuesday. I asked Nicole to share it with us, and of course, she obliged. What a doll! Here you go!

Russian Tea Cakes, Mexican Wedding Cakes, Snowballs–by whatever culture and whatever name you know these cookies, I call them delicious.  They’re a mainstay of our holiday cookie repertoire, but who says they’re just for Christmas?  They’re delicate, delicious, and darn easy to make.

You can’t go wrong with the standard recipe, of course, but for the Secret Garden baby shower, I wanted everything to be pink, so I dreamed up a new version of these classic cookies with a citrus twist.

Pink Lemonade Tea Cakes:
1 cup butter

1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup finely chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans, typically)
1 tablespoon King Arthur brand Lemon Powder
A few drops of LorAnn Oil flavoring, Lemonade flavor
pink food coloring (if desired)

To Coat the Cookies:
approximately 2 cups extra powdered sugar

1 or 2 tablespoons more King Arthur Lemon Powder
pink petal dust or luster dust

Directions:
1)  Heat oven to 400.

2)  Mix room temperature butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla thoroughly.  Add a few drops of the LorAnn Oil Flavoring.  This is strong stuff, and a little goes a long way!  Stir flour, salt, King Arthur Lemon Juice Powder, and nuts in, and mix just until well incorporated.

3)  Form dough into one inch diameter balls and put on a greased cookie sheet.

4)  Bake 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are just starting to look golden brown on the bottom.  The cookies will still appear pretty pale on their tops.

5)  While still warm, roll the cookies in your pink powdered sugar mixture. I like to use a fork and a spoon for this step, both to keep my hands clean and protect my fingers from the heat.    This first layer might look a little moist and darken as the cookies cool, but don’t worry.  Let cool completely, and roll the cookies in the powdered sugar coating a second time.  This will give you the lovely lasting powdery coating.

To make the pink powdered sugar coating:
1) Place approximately two cups of powdered sugar in a bowl or tupperware container.  (I like something with a lid, so I can shake the ingredients to mix thoroughly and quickly.)  Add one or two tablespoons of King Arthur Lemon Juice Powder to the powdered sugar–it really depends on how lemony you want the cookie to be.  Sprinkle some pink petal dust or luster dust in the mix.  Luster and petal dusts are essentially powdered food coloring, and are used in cake decorating.  You can find it online, or at your local cake decorating store.  A word of warning:  it is *not* the same as the Wilton brand shimmer dust you can get at major craft stores.  Look for the real stuff; it’s much more intense and beautiful.  I used Magenta petal dust in these pictures.  Mix well, and you’ll have a pale pink powdered sugar with a bright lemon tang, perfect for coating the cookies.

Thank you Nicole!

If you make these, let us know!
  1. Marcela

August 25th, 2011 at 9:16 am

They remind me of greek/cypriot Kourambiedes, which are also served at weddings. Except Kourambiedes use rose water and a hint of cinnamon.

2. Rachel Skvaril

August 25th, 2011 at 9:21 am

I cannot wait to try these…but I’m going to mix it up a bit. I need frosty blue cakes for my son’s upcoming snowy owl dessert table. Thank you so much for sharing this idea with us!

3. Amy Setzenfand

August 25th, 2011 at 9:35 am

These will be perfect pink snowballs for my daughter’s Princess Winter “One”derland themed first birthday party in December! I can’t wait to make them (and eat them)!

4. ioanna betsi

August 25th, 2011 at 9:56 am

i love cooking!!!!! do you have anything for me?

5. Holley

August 25th, 2011 at 10:02 am

I cannot wait to try this recipe! I’m thinking of making them as a gift for my son’s teacher who loves all things pink! That way, I won’t eat them all:-)

6. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc.

August 25th, 2011 at 10:09 am

super cute!

7. Heather G.

August 25th, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Oh my, those look amazing!

8. bettijo @ PagingSupermom.com

August 28th, 2011 at 11:16 pm

that powdered food coloring is so cool!

9. ALICIA G

September 7th, 2011 at 12:05 am

Can’t wait to make these beautiful cookies! How many will this recipe make?

10. Woodland Fairy Themed Birthday Party |

September 12th, 2011 at 5:41 pm

[…] the tea cakes covered in pink crystal sugar and white powdered sugar, originally posted by Kim of theTomKat Studio. These were displayed in wood trays from Target. The table cloth is from Wal-mart and the center […]

11. Isis

September 12th, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Made these for my daughter’s 3 birthday party…they were a hit! Thanks for sharing…and here are party pics: http://prettypaperparfait.com/2011/09/12/woodland-fairy-themed-birthday-party/

12. Wedding Shower Eats

October 2nd, 2011 at 11:14 am

[…] – Coconut Almond / Lemonade / Pink Lady Berry Trifle Variety of cookies (including adorable pink tea cakes), muffins & fudge dessert table cupcake favors close up of the favors personalized cake […]

13. Jackie Strickland

December 5th, 2011 at 1:35 pm

These sound great. Making them for my daughters baby shower. But I would like to know how many this recipe makes? Thanks..

14. Pink Lemonade Snowballs

December 18th, 2011 at 2:35 am

[…] to the snowballs I know, these pink lemonade snowballs still look divine. The recipe, through The TomKat Studio, is easy to follow, with the results looking like they are worth the extra bit of […]

15. angela@spinachtiger

February 1st, 2012 at 2:29 pm

These are so cute. I pinned and have to find a reason to make. Valentines’ day maybe.

16. lesley

March 3rd, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I would like to make these but I have no luster dust or pink petal dust or King Arthur powders available to me. Are there any suggestions for substitutes?

17. Kristin

January 20th, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Did you find any substitutes? I too want to make them but can’t find these things! Help! 🙂

18. nancy

March 14th, 2012 at 9:13 am

Can hardly wait to make these for my next teaparty! Can you tell me the name of the font used for the name cards “pink lemonade tea cakes” etc.

19. Kim

April 14th, 2012 at 8:02 am

Is there an easy printable version to this recipe??

20. Kristin

June 18th, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I made this this last weekend for a girl baby shower. They were delicious and so very cute. They were fairly easy to make too.

I couldn’t find the King Arthur Lemon Powder (my mom works in a kitchen store and says you can usually only find it online). Instead, I substituted 3/4 tsp lemon emulsion (lemon extract would work exactly the same) in the dough and it was a subtle hint of citris. You could use 1 tsp if you want a nice strong lemon flavor. Since the substitution is wet, add it to the butter/powder sugar/vanilla mix before sifting in the flour. I left the lemon flavoring out of the pink powdered sugar on the outside of the cookies.

The recipe made exactly 40 cookies. I’ve been asked to pass the recipe along to a few of the guests and will definately be making it again for myself.

21. Kristin

June 18th, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Oh, and there’s so much butter in the recipe, there’s no need to grease the cookie sheet. I wasn’t even using a non-stick cookie sheet and they slid right off after 12 minutes in the oven.

22. Marissa Nguyen

August 14th, 2012 at 12:36 am

Would you happen to know if this recipe uses salted or unsalted butter?

23. Patty lentz

January 16th, 2013 at 8:27 pm

What type of flour plain or self rise ?

24. Ann Knickerbocker

September 25th, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Since I have three organic lemon trees, is there a way I can use, say, powdered dried lemon peel? My mom planted them years ago & I am ALWAYS looking for ways to use them. Not a fruit you find much use for outside of lemonade, which I don’t drink.

25. marina

October 25th, 2012 at 7:27 am

love them

26. Five Pink Lemonade Dessert Recipes | Nestlette

March 22nd, 2013 at 5:04 am

[…] 5. Pink Lemonade Tea Cakes (recipe) […]

27. Christina

May 4th, 2013 at 3:38 pm

May I ask how much petal dust you use per recipe. I ordered two of the 4g containers but I’m afraid this is not enough for my project. I’m needing to make 320 of these. Please let me know how much dust per recipe.

Thanks!

28. easy-gift-ideas.com

May 25th, 2013 at 1:28 pm

You can provide her a holiday package so both of it is possible to unwind together.
    Which means the gift which you give is going to need to be
    appropriate. Over the centuries the outstanding genius of great artists
    from each generation was meticulously engraved and
    printed.

29. Pink Lemonade Tea Cakes | WorldFoodRecipes.com

May 26th, 2013 at 12:33 pm

[…] Original Recipe: http://thetomkatstudio.com/recipe-pink-lemonade-tea-cakes/ […]

30. 106 Reception Hor D’oeuvres for Artists: 67 Grouped by number of ingredients |

February 7th, 2014 at 1:52 pm

[…] Champagne Popsicles Mini Meatballs Stuffed Strawberries Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts Pink Lemonade Tea Cakes Tuna Salad Wraps Chipotle Chicken Tostada Bites No Bake Strawberry Lemonade Bites […]

31. Nancy L

April 25th, 2014 at 9:45 am

Hi!
    These look lovely! We are hosting a Tea Party Bridal Shower in June and these fit our theme perfectly!
    Can you tell me how many each recipe makes? Would they keep ok 4-5 days in advance in a sealed container?

32. Bobbi Bogle

August 13th, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Did you ever find out your answer I need to make them for a bridal t myself in 2 weeks.

33. Tammy Smith

August 14th, 2014 at 9:18 am

These are just pretty! Can I make these using a raspberry LorAnn instead of the lemon juice and lemonade LorAnn? I cannot get hold of the pink lemonade in time for the tea party I’m having,but I do have Raspberry.If I could do this,can you tell me what I’d have to do differently? Thank you so very much!