Important News from The TomKat Studio…

I have this gorgeous art print by Lettered Life hanging in my office and I see it every morning when I walk to my desk. This quote by Mary Oliver is really thought provoking, isn’t it? I use it as a constant reminder to live life to it’s fullest. It’s a reminder to think about what the plan is for your life and not to just get lost in the day to day. It reminds us that life is precious and to cherish every moment. It also reminds us that life is wild, which encourages us to take risks and be brave. Pretty fabulous, right? If you need this reminder too, download this gorgeous print (thanks, Caitlin!) and hang it up where you will see it everyday!

With that said, I am turning 40 this month. 40? I remember when my mom turned 40 and all of the tacky “over the hill” party supplies (so awful!). Back then, 40 sure seemed old, but it doesn’t feel all that old now. However, over the past few months, as I am approaching this big milestone, I have done some serious contemplating, thinking, wondering and prioritizing. While I always have my head in the clouds, dreaming and planning, this feels different. It feels like if there is ever a time to make changes and do all of the things I’ve wanted to do, now would be a great time to get going.

Ironically, some major changes have happened with my business over the last year and the timing for a new chapter seems to be falling right into place. For the past 8+ years, I have focused the majority of my business on party styling and supplies, with the main emphasis on children’s parties. Kate’s 2nd birthday party is what really catapulted the blog, and she’s 10 now! Where does time go? With the kids getting older, the parties they want are much more simple. I have always prided myself on being authentic and sharing content and ideas that I truly would create for my own friends and family, so it doesn’t feel quite right to continue to have my main focus on kid’s parties. I was very lucky to be part of the huge trend of styling highly-detailed children’s parties, but I feel like it’s time for me to take on a new challenge. Not to mention, trends don’t last forever. I believe as a business, you have to continually evolve and change to stay ahead of the game. Once upon a time, you could only find cute, unique party supplies online at small boutique shops, but now with big-box retail stores like Target and Party City stepping up their game, it’s much harder to compete. When you can buy darling patterned plates, cute straws, banners, honeycomb balls, specialty balloons, etc everywhere, and at great prices it makes it hard for the smaller shops to continue capturing market share. Yes, there will always be a market for new, creative party supplies, and I will continue to feature my favorite products…. they will just no longer be from my own shop. We had an amazing run, but I know that closing the party shop is the right decision.

Whew. That is pretty big news, since I have been running and building a party shop for so many years. I am sad to see it go, but I know it’s time. As you may remember from this update last year, I talked about being pulled in so many directions with having so many different aspects of my business (styling shoots/brand partnerships/blogging/social media) and I have still been feeling the same way. So this is a huge relief for me and I already feel such a huge sense of freedom and possibilities ahead. I’m giddy with excitement about all of the ideas I have had so far about what is coming next and I hope you will join me on this journey as I figure out my path! I will be continuing to style shoots and create content for amazing brands that are aligned with my brand, and bring you the very best content I can! I really, really want to get back to blogging and sharing things I love and more of my day-to-day and behind the scenes. I hope this allows me more time to do that. As you may know, I’ve been working on a huge project over the last six months… our new house! We are almost done and I cannot wait to share it with you. It is our biggest remodel yet and I am completely in love. So one thing is for sure… you can expect much more content on home decorating and remodeling in the future! Also stay tuned for details about the cruise we are taking to Havana to celebrate my 40th birthday! Can’t wait!

Be sure to sign up for my email list here, if you would like to receive TomKat updates + exclusive freebies in your inbox!

download this printable

1. Tina Dahl

June 30th, 2017 at 8:45 pm

So , so proud of you Kim for always taking the path the works best for YOU and your family! I have no doubt that whatever path you find yourself on, will be successful and fabulous, just like you!! I will continue to be your biggest cheerleader and you will continue to inspire me every day. Way to go friend!!!!

2. Kim

June 30th, 2017 at 9:10 pm

Tina, you are the sweetest! Your ongoing support and love means so much to me! Thank you for always cheering me on! xoxo

3. Christina Christian

July 1st, 2017 at 12:15 am

Kim,

This is so amazing! Congrats and well wishes to you. I am so excited for your future!!!

xo,
    Christina

4. Kim

July 1st, 2017 at 11:44 am

To one of my BEST customers, thank you from the bottom of my heart!! xoxo

5. Laura

July 1st, 2017 at 4:50 am

So excited for you and your new journey! I can ‘t wait to follow along with you!

6. Kim

July 1st, 2017 at 11:43 am

Thank you, Laura! I sincerely appreciate you and your lovely comments and support. I’m so glad we got to know each other at Inspired!! xoxo

7. Lindsey R

July 1st, 2017 at 8:44 am

Congrats! I’ve enjoyed watching your brand grow, I remember being your 100th follower on blogspot. And after seeing all the Kate personalized things and reading the Kate McRae story, I named my daughter Kate.

8. Kim

July 1st, 2017 at 11:43 am

Wow! That is so amazing to hear, Lindsey! 100th follower? Thank you for continuing to follow me all of these years!! And yay for Kates! 🙂

9. Kim

July 1st, 2017 at 8:52 am

Kim,
    Happy and exited for you and what the future brings. As working moms you know life changes daily for us. As my kids are now grown and giving me grandkids it’s a whole new fun ballgame for me. And your right it goes by fast! I’ve enjoyed following your business journey and look forward to where it takes you. I love your home remodeling and decor post s and event photo shoots as well! If you ever need sweets just let me know ???? Always wishing success for you. Kim aka Cakepops101

10. Kim

July 1st, 2017 at 11:42 am

Thank you so much for your sweet words, Kim. Time sure flies, doesn’t it? Thank you for always following my journey and being a huge support! xoxo

11. Leah Remillet

July 1st, 2017 at 9:07 am

So excited for you Kim! Loved getting to read and see YOU shining through in this post! Can’t wait to keep following all of your adventures! xoxo!

12. Kim

July 1st, 2017 at 9:21 am

Thank you so much, Leah. I need to share my thoughts and feelings more often. It feels so good to get it out!! Love you, friend.

13. Jen

July 1st, 2017 at 9:40 am

So exciting and incredibly brave to step out in a new direction. You’ve already conquered the party industry and inspired us all! Looking forward to seeing what you delve into next! Best wishes! XOXO Jen

14. Kim

July 1st, 2017 at 11:41 am

Jen, you are the sweetest. What a huge compliment to say that I have already conquered the party industry. You’re making me blush! Thank you for your kind words and for always encouraging me! xoxo

15. Leanne Ambrogio

July 1st, 2017 at 10:17 am

Kim I know that torn feeling! That is exactly how I felt when I closed my store down a few years ago to focus on different things and for exactly the same reasons as you! Things change, times change and being happy in the moment is so important! I can’t quite believe how much my life has changed since then as we are now living this amazing and wonderful life in Canada for a few years. This would never have come up if I still had my store so I believe that things happen for a reason! Exciting times – I look forward to following the next chapter. Leanne x

16. Kim

July 1st, 2017 at 11:40 am

Oh my sweet friend, Leanne! So great to hear from you. I couldn’t agree more and I feel a huge sense of relief and inspiration to work on new ideas! I’m so glad you are enjoying Canada!! Please let me know if you ever visit Arizona! I would LOVE to give you a big hug!! xoxo

17. Toni K.

July 1st, 2017 at 12:44 pm

Wishing all the best Kim!! Taking these new steps is very brave and I can’t wait to follow your next journey.

18. Kim

July 3rd, 2017 at 10:12 am

Thank you, Toni for always being such a huge support! I appreciate you so much! xoxo

19. Dana | The Art Kit

July 1st, 2017 at 2:46 pm

Time really does fly! Wishing you a very happy birthday and all the best to you in the years to come!

20. Kim

July 1st, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Thank you, Dana!

21. Crystal Honeycutt

July 1st, 2017 at 2:47 pm

That was a big decision and I’ve been where you are — 6 months after closing my physical location- life is so much better! I can breathe…I am proud of you for doing what’s best for you + your family!

22. Kim

July 3rd, 2017 at 10:12 am

Cheers to making the right decisions and doing what’s best for you!! xoxo

23. Elizabeth

July 1st, 2017 at 3:11 pm

I always think of you as so optimistic and encouraging. I have all the faith in the world in your decisions and am just excited to be a part of whatever you do. I appreciate your can-do spirit in all things and wish only the best for you as you move forward.

24. Kim

July 3rd, 2017 at 10:11 am

Thank you, Elizabeth for those amazing words. xoxo

25. Modupe

July 1st, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Hey, I’ve followed you from your blogspot days all the way from the UK and just loved seeing your journey. You’ve inspired me a lot as I’ve started my creative business journey. Excited to your next phase in business life.

26. Kim

July 3rd, 2017 at 10:10 am

That is amazing! Thank you so much for following along all of these years! Congrats on starting your own creative business! I wish you all of the best!

27. Modupe

July 1st, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Oh and happy birthday!

28. Kim

July 3rd, 2017 at 10:09 am

29. Mary Coakley

July 1st, 2017 at 3:48 pm

I wish you all the best in your new venture its great to know for you that you need a new challenge go for it do not look back your decision is made its the easy part life gives us many possibilities and change is good

30. Kim

July 3rd, 2017 at 10:09 am

Thank you so much for your encouraging words, Mary!

31. Reema

July 1st, 2017 at 6:51 pm

When I saw your 70% off everything, I knew it would only be time for you to announce this. I’ve used your stuff to style parties in the last few years – particularly my daughter’s 1st and 2nd Birthday. I’ll miss shopping on your site, but look forward to seeing what the future holds.

32. Kim

July 3rd, 2017 at 10:08 am

Thank you so much, Reema!

33. Angela kelly

July 1st, 2017 at 7:24 pm

6.5 years ago I hosted my first daughter’s first birthday and bought some items from you. Her first year of life was the hardest my husband and I have ever been through- it was filled with lots of sickness and surgeries for this precious baby girl.
    Approaching her first birthday I could see the light at the end- I saw my baby getting her health restored and I wanted to not only celebrate her first birthday but the fact that we survived that entire year bringing our girl to Drs and surgeries.
    I researched birthday ideas and came across Tomkat studios and you inspired and equipped me with the cutest cowgirl party invites and decor!
    Thank you for making our birthday special- it meant more than you know.

Cheers to 40 (hey, it’s the new 30) and to your new adventures!

34. Kim

July 3rd, 2017 at 10:08 am

Oh Angela, this brought tears to my eyes. How special to know that I did something that helped you celebrate your precious daughter. Thank you so much for sharing that! xoxo

35. Megan allen

July 2nd, 2017 at 12:53 am

Is it wrong to say “the road less traveled”? You are daring to make a change! Your blog and store are amazing! Your future is so bright. Take some time…. family, friends, and creative juices. See what makes your fires burn among those and run with it

36. Kim

July 3rd, 2017 at 9:58 am

Thank you, Megan! That is exactly what I am doing this summer. Just “being” and figuring out what I want to focus my energy on next. In this quiet time, I feel like the ideas are flowing and the possibilities are endless! xoxo

37. Caley

July 2nd, 2017 at 4:26 am

SO excited for you Kim – you have always been a great inspiration and the reason I opened my business!But so incredibly inspired by the big moves you take in business and life – looking forward to your next adventure and yay for your new house x

38. Kim

July 3rd, 2017 at 9:56 am

Thank you so much, Caley! To know that I inspired you to start your own business makes my heart happy! Thank you for sharing that and for following my blog! xoxo

39. Alyssa

July 7th, 2017 at 3:55 pm

We all have a path and you were definitely a pioneer to many of us party gals. You are a visionary and will succeed in all your endeavors, Kim.
    Best of luck to you and I can’t wait to see your new house! 🙂 -Alyssa

40. Kim

July 7th, 2017 at 4:22 pm

Thank you so much for your sweet words, Alyssa!! I really appreciate your support!! xoxo

41. Stephanie

July 19th, 2017 at 12:20 pm

I have no doubt you’ll continue to be amazing in all you do! Happy Birthday!!!! 🙂

42. Kim

July 20th, 2017 at 8:21 am

Thank you so much, Stephanie for your sweet words!! xoxo

43. Maria

July 25th, 2017 at 4:11 pm

You have been such an inspiration to so many of us starting our small businesses, including me! Thank you for paving the way, teaching us that women can create beautiful things and be successful, and most of all being such a grounded person in the process. Happy belated 40th! Cheers to the future – I can’t wait to see your next adventure! 🙂

44. Kim

July 27th, 2017 at 7:29 am

Thank you so much, Maria for your kind words and encouragement! To know that I inspired you in your business, makes my day! Thank you for taking the time to comment!! xoxo

45. Amy

August 30th, 2017 at 3:46 pm

I am so sad to just hear about this. You have been my one stop shop for sophisticated, unique products for my children’s parties and my friend’s showers. I am such a fan! But I know you will be making waves again, just in other forms of creativity.

Thank you for everything!

46. Kim

August 30th, 2017 at 3:59 pm

Oh thank you so much, Amy. It makes me so happy to hear this! xoxo